Sunday, April 26, 2009

Goat Song

Chris looked at me skeptically.

Today I came across some books discarded on West 19th Street. I stopped for a glance at the covers, and could not resist picking up the fantastic(-ally obscure) "Goat Song," a novel whose back cover boasts:

"...an unusual novel, both in form and content. The author uses modified conventions of Greek tragedy to counterpoint the ordinary lives of streetwise lesbians - lives for which a tragic fall is a daily occurrence..."

As I said later to my friend Chris, Irish literature follows a similar set of themes: goats, gay women, daily occurrences. But there is often a sprinkling of police and law enforcement throughout. And I quoted from a well-known Irish novella:

"And by now, the police were pushing the goat through the hole in the floor..."

Strange to say, he looked at me skeptically...