Thursday, July 04, 2013

Memories of Flickr and Red Hook


A few years ago, I was an enthusiastic user of Flickr, the web site for photos, photography and an image repository of vast proportions.

The only thing that was not vast, was the space allowed to each user with a simple (free) user account. When my professional (paid) subscription lapsed, all but about 200 of my photos disappeared, and at the time all I did was hope that one day when I could afford to pay for a new membership of Flickr, my archive of images would reappear. Would they still be there, or would the shifting sands of the Internet world assume them forever again unseen, into a server sitting somewhere out there, inaccessible and mute...?

Well, just recently, this happened:


Everyone who is a Flickr member (membr?) has been allocated a free Terabyte of storage space! (Take that, Dropbox!). And yes, all of my photos have magically reappeared.