Monday, July 26, 2010

Filtered Fun

Someone gave me a rather odd pair of sunglasses yesterday. They sort of make anyone look like Elton John in his early days (before he went from being bald to whatever his miraculous opposite of hair loss is), and they are a sort of hysterical yellow tint.

The effect is to make the world, especially with the strong New York sunshine at present, seem like a wildly optimistic place, where buildings and cars facing the sun are Singing! With! An! Optimistic! Yellow! while the darker shadows are Singed. With a Profound Sepia. At some point while out walking, I thought I would experiment with my little FLIP video camera, using the sunglasses as a filter over the camera lense. First, normal vision.

This is Chelsea, around Seventh Avenue and West 19th Street, without the makeshift filter. (I should warn you that I did go a little crazy with this, so...)

And this is with the sunshades as filter:

And so, I went filter-crazy!


A & F billboard in the Meat Packing District (above)...

The Heat Cracking District's cobblestone streets...

An expensive shoe store in the Beet-Hacking District (above)...

Along Greenwich Street.