Monday, September 15, 2008

Dumb Waitress

[From Salon, on Ohio, the election, racism, and voters:]

'Karen Porter, an economically hard-pressed longtime waitress at Paul's ("I used to be on a beer budget, now I'm on a bus budget"), would be what political scientists call a "low-information voter," if only she were registered. Attracted to Obama ("I think he really cares about people in the middle class"), Porter is tempted to vote for the first time. When asked about his Republican rival, Porter said, "I don't know much about McCain. I hear a lot about his vice president. What's her name? The one from Canada."'

As an aside, I keep wondering why the media universally speaks of the issue of race being a huge factor in the upcoming election; why don't they call it what it really is: racism.