Monday, December 03, 2007

From Irish Echo to Inside Man

Inside Man, a 2006 Spike Lee thriller, was mostly filmed in and around 20 Exchange Place, lower Manhattan. I spent a day last spring, without the actual address, walking around lower Manhattan trying in vain to find the bank building where an elaborate hoax heist hostage drama takes place in the movie.

Manhattan below Chambers Street is such an inexplicably complicated nest of streets that I never found my way inside Inside Man. More recently, the newspaper office for which I freelance relocated to 11 Hanover Square (which, as evidence of how complicated it gets down there, is located at 78 Beaver Street), and I still get lost finding it. So here, above, is a Google map of how to drive from my office to 20 Exchange Place... watch out, you might get dizzy.